- Judges will apply NLA standards.
- Judges are selected on the basis of their knowledge, integrity and objectivity.
- Entries are not judged against one another; rather each entry is judged on its own merit.
- Each entry is judged without knowledge of who entered the project; the contractor is anonymous.
- Judges reserve the right to change the category in which an entry is designated for consideration. Entrants will be notified.
- Type, size and cost of projects are not considered criteria for judging, only for the appropriate category.
- Each entry is judged independently on site by the judges using separate judging sheets. Judges must then reach a consensus to decide award winners of each category.
- Committee members cannot be judges.
- Awards will be presented to the top entrants, regardless of the category.
A. Installation/Renovation Entries
- Grading and drainage (subsurface/surface)
- Quality of plant installation (tree staking, mulch, elevation, selection and placement)
- Design / Plant palette (The quality/appropriateness of the plant material and the harmony of design within the surroundings)
- Quality of lawn & edging
- Irrigation design & water management (meet industry standards)
- Hardscape (as part of Installation or Renovation)
- Water Feature (as part of Installation or Renovation)
B. Maintenance Entries
- General appearance
- Trees (staking, pruning, tree wells, pest free). Shrubs (shearing versus proper pruning, natural form, pest free). Groundcover (within bounds, density, color)
- Lawn (color, mowing height, pest free)
- Edging (vertical versus tapered)
- Annuals / Perennials (color, harmony, density, species for area, mulch and surface treatment of planting beds)
- Irrigation (water management, coverage, scheduling, meets industry standards)
- Water Feature (as part of regular maintenance.)
C. Water Feature Entries
- Artistic design
- Setting and grading
- Form and function
- Blending in with landscaping
- Water clarity, circulation, filtration, skimming
- Planting and management of aquatic plants and perimeter landscape plants
- Flow of water or fountain (Sound, size, effect)
D. Hardscape Entries
- Creative use
- Structural integrity
- Blending in with surroundings
- Quality of material
- Attention to detail
- Form and function
E. Landscape Lighting (Judged after dusk)
- Design and placement
- Fixture use and quality
- Installation (Wire & Transformer)
- Blending with landscape
- Creativity and dramatic effect
- Safety and security